Tuesday, September 1, 2015

365 Project - Days 299, 300

“Every artist was first an amateur.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

I remember the exchange as though it just happened. That's how much this has impacted me, nay "haunted me" for nearly a year. The question went something like her son needed headshots for college and did I do that sort of thing? Almost as soon as she asked the question, I knew I should be doing them, but at the same time, I had no real headshot experience, except taking them of my children for their acting comps. Then, shortly after letting her know that it was not the sort of thing I did, but that I would be happy to try (which she declined), I was asked to shoot headshots of 100 youth for a local nonprofit. This time, I agreed and proceeded to shoot headshots of more than 300 children and teenagers in a 7 month period, easily nearing 10,000 photographs.

I love teen headshots. This is one of my all time favorite activities. I have spent so much time nagging my own children to allow me take their photos and running massive volume headshot sessions, that I have endured all kinds of nonsense, but still I'd rather do this than most other things. In 3 minute volume sessions with children aged 5 - 18, I can create 100 different looks, exhibiting 100 different personalities. And, that is truly by the grace of God. These sessions have allowed me to rapidly develop talent and skills in a contracted time that are easily transferable to traditional professional headshot and portrait sessions where the photographer and client are relaxed and have time for creativity and analysis. I can read the environment and the client very quickly and adapt. This is what I do in under 3 minutes in every volume session. That leaves me with more time in a 1 - 3 hour session with my clients to focus on creating unique beauty in their photographs.

I am constantly working on skills and trying new techniques. In these photos, I wanted to test handholding my 70-200mm. I prefer to hold my camera during headshot sessions to keep in constant contact with my client. This lens is really heavy and working with Kyra is not the easiest way to manage this shoot (she collapsed a few times), but I'm building strength and skill! I don't need this lens for studio work, but for outdoor shots, as you can see, the bokeh here could make all the difference. These photographs were taken very late in the day. And, well, I like.

Blessings.





“Man often becomes what he believes himself to be. If I keep on saying to myself that I cannot do a certain thing, it is possible that I may end by really becoming incapable of doing it. On the contrary, if I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.” Mahatma Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment