Tuesday, November 10, 2015

365 Project - Day 364

"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." e.e. cummings

I hopped into the taxi early Sunday morning said, "Good morning" and gave the driver my destination. After a couple of minutes, when we stopped at a traffic light, the driver turned around and said, "you're a nice lady." What he meant was, "you're awfully cheerful for this hour on a Sunday." He proceeded to explain that most of his fares are grumpy, bearing few smiles and much less of a sense of humor. He and I talked the rest of the ride. The trip was a gift. He started the heart of the conversation by sharing the importance of laughter. He said that a doctor had told him that laughter, loud hearty laughter, will keep one from getting cancer. To which I responded, "of course, laughter is the best medicine, right?" Then, we discussed health and food choices and with the most beautiful Indian accent, he explained the importance of the enzymes our mouths create when we eat fish. As we finished our ride, he repeatedly insisted that I remember his advice on staying young. I promised, but I couldn't resist asking him to guess my age. He guessed 20-30 years younger and when told him how wrong he was, he said, "No it cannot be - stop - and don't say that again. You look so young." I am simply living proof that laughter improves your health.

I can't recall the last time I had so much fun taking photos. This was pure self-indulgence. Our garden was full of leaves. I couldn't resist taking photos. A light rain had just finished, but a mighty Fall breeze was at hand. IMHO, the best way to capture the dizzying swirl of leaves at this moment was to become one. So, I laid down, selected a hyper focal distance and when the wind kicked up, I stayed as still as possible and clicked away. Most of the time I was giggling while the leaves fluttered around me. It was far too much fun.

One of the things that I enjoy about this photo is the crispness and clarity of a few of the leaves and the blades of grass. It does foretell that when we are ready, we are able to stand strong against whatever may attempt to derail us. Yet, all winds are not meant to destroy.

One of my most enjoyable lessons during this 365 project has been the appreciation of simple things. We are given gifts every day. Some magnificent, some average, some plain. And, all are more than enough, if we are grateful to the giver and if we use those gifts as seeds for growth. Being a leaf was an extraordinary gift. To some it may seem trivial, for me it was exceptional, more than enough to fill my cup with joy. I join e.e. cummings in saying, "I thank God for this most amazing day, for the leaping greenly spirits of trees, and for the blue dream of sky and for everything which is natural, which is infinite, which is yes."


Blessings.

Today's Photo: The Joy of Dancing Leaves!



"A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a broken spirit saps a person's strength." Proverbs 17:22

No comments:

Post a Comment