Monday, November 9, 2015

365 Project - Day 363

"You are never given a wish without also being given the power to make it come true. You may have to work for it, however." Richard Bach

When I initially planned my final week of photos, I planned this as Day 365. Practically, it should have been. Oh well, 2 days off isn't too awful.

I was driving home last night, more tired than I should have been and could only get one station on my car radio. WHUD and was playing only 70's music. I can't recall the last time I had heard many of the songs, but I knew nearly every word to every song. I belted out every tune like I was young girl spinning 45s in my bedroom. These words from Ricky Nelson's Garden Party resonated, "But it's all right now, I learned my lesson well. You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself." The rest of the lyrics are "meh", but the chorus works for me. Similarly, the photo below is all me. Could I have made different and more impactful choices? Absolutely.

The Bible is my confirmation Bible. I have a lot of Bibles. I pulled a few off the shelf. This one, to my surprise, had my name handwritten inside along with the date presented to me. It has always had a prominent place on my shelf. I actually thought it belonged to one of my grandmothers. I chose to open the book to Philippians, "I can do all things through him who strengthens me." (Phil. 4:13) I am enjoying our study of prayer in our church series. The moleskin is my new prayer journal. When writing prayers recently and looking at this photo, I noticed that the penpoint in the photo was just about on Philippians 1:6,

"And I am sure that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ."

The camera is the first I acquired on my own. I have gotten a lot of mileage out of my Nikon FE2. I won a contest at work some 20+ years ago and chose it from the catalog as my prize. The camera, instead of a pair of skis, or a grill or a bass fishing boat or jewelry, etc.

The ball is a Ball of Whacks from Roger von Oech. "Most people think of success and failure as opposites, says von Oech, but they are both products of the same process." Roger von Oech is a creative genius and as I move into my next phase of photography projects, I will take the time to stretch my creative muscles. I believe my creativity and the ability to interpret situations differently than others is a terrific advantage. The piece inside the Bible is from the ball. A reminder that even the smallest creative exercise or influence can give way to big change. Every von Oech exercise puts this theory into practice, "Take advantage of the ambiguity in the world. Look at something and think what else might it be?"

The candle ... "He said to them. 'Do you bring in a lamp to put it under a bowl or a bed? Instead, don't you put it on its stand? For whatever is hidden is meant to be disclosed, and whatever is canceled is meant to be brought out into the open. If anyone has ears to hear, let them hear. Consider carefully what you hear,' he continued. "With the measure you use, it will be measured to you - and even more. Whoever has will be given more; whoever does not have, even what thy have will be taken from them." (Mark 4:21-25) We must develop our gifts and shine our lights brightly giving in some form to as many people as possible.

When I mentioned to someone that I was nearing the end of this project, they asked if I had learned much about myself along the way. The answer is a resounding, "YES!" I had forgotten how much I enjoy writing. Making this a nearly daily process has brought both the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. Yet, every moment I persist with that pen, I win.

I used this cross previously to photograph a silhouette with my crutches. The photo is one of my favorites. This small cross always appears larger, serving as a reminder of the omnipresence of God. Emerson's may be one of the best perspectives, "All I have seen teaches me to trust the creator for all I have not seen." I intended more by this cross, however. Jesus was clear about our ability to gain strength through our relationship with him, "Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it."(John 14:12-14)

Now that's a promise I expect to collect. Blessings.

Today's Photo: 365 Project Self-Portrait



"And who knows you may have been chosen for just such a time as this." Esther 4:14b

No comments:

Post a Comment