Wednesday, September 9, 2015

365 Project - Day 308

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made" Psalm 139:13

During my recent trip to Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo, I was reminded of how much I enjoy this experience. It has been years since we've had a family outing to a zoo. And, while the Beardsley is very small, it was perfect for my solo outing. I went early on a quiet weekday morning. Few people were there and while I had only 2 hours to spend, it worked out well for me.

When I was younger, I was always most attracted to the monkeys. Their freewheeling acrobatics, coupled with a sense of family appealed to me. I had forgotten about that until I saw the small group of monkeys in this zoo. It's not always a party, however. There was the melancholy Howler monkey that only lit up when the caretaker arrived and then scurried back to a corner after he left. Perhaps, the Howler experienced a sense of loneliness despite the activity around him/her. We can all relate.

The Saki monkeys were more active. Through the pane of glass, with 2 cameras in hand, I tried to encourage this one to sit still for a portrait - haha. This was the best compromise. I should note that in this zoo, the monkeys are indoors, inside their Rainforest Building. It takes a moment to get comfortable with the condensed air and the smell. You have to want to be there.

Spending time with the monkeys, like so much of my time these days is more about valuing the person I was designed to be. I was reminded today of a comment someone once made: "We may have many talents, but not all of them are anointed for your purpose." I have a multitude of skills and talents. I am exceptional at many things, but now it is time to focus on those talents that will change the world.

How about you?

Blessings.


Today's Photo: A moment with a Pale Faced Saki Monkey



"I know of nothing more valuable, when it comes to the all-important virtue of authenticity, than simply being who you are." Charles R. Swindoll







EXIF: Nikon D7100
ISO 800
85mm
f1.8
1/125s

No comments:

Post a Comment