Sunday, September 20, 2015

365 Project - Days 317, 318, 319

"I embrace the wisdom of uncertainty, because if everything is certain, where is the creativity?" Deepak Chopra

I recently read a photographic article in which the author proposed an exercise to improve seeing light by sitting in the dark with an object and a candle or flashlight. The exercise suggests photographing the object while moving the small light around the object; then incrementally increasing the light source(s) while observing / tracking the effect. I have neither the resources nor the patience to sit in the dark with an object and multiple light sources to attempt the full exercise, but I was anxious to try an adapted version.

I created a candlelight series, taking 3 days with 3 different types of subjects using a single candle to observe the shift in light. As with most of my 365 efforts, I wanted to use resources on hand. I chose a medium-sized, simple everyday candle in a jar. This was a candle my husband lights from time to time in the kitchen. Since it does not provide a lot of light, I needed to push the ISO on the camera (to 1250), which provided a wonderful opportunity to test the noise level on my new camera. The environment, the camera (Nikon D750), the lens (85mm), the ISO are constant for all of the photographs. The third day I switched to a small pillar candle, however that made little difference.

To illustrate the exercise for each day below, the EXIF is exactly the same. The only difference in each of the individual groupings is the position of the candle; the direction of the light. This was an exercise in discovery. A few things were constant or certain, however, much of this was about discovery and creativity. This was why I wanted to try this with different subjects. Given the limited amount of light in the room and on each object, this turned out to be an excellent way to SEE light and shadows on each of the objects. The light varied in placement, distance and height, but was always present.

There's an interesting parallel in our lives. We sometimes forget that light is always available and we have a choice of hope. As I see it, there are two ways to live: 1) as though light is shining directly on our face, ready for us to embrace, absorb, utilize and share. Or 2) as though darkness has overcome that light. As you can see in all of these photos though the light may be dim, it is there if you look for it. The source, the angle, the distance may make it difficult to see at times, but it is there. In the 2nd photo of the apple (Day 318), if facing the darkness: turn around.

Recognizing the light is there all the time, regardless of the situation or circumstances, can brighten our days in big and bold ways. I love how boldly David shifts from speaking about God turning his darkness into light to having the courage to lead an army and scale walls: "You, Lord, keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light. With your help I can advance against a troop; with my God I can scale a wall." Psalm 18:28-29

Perhaps, if we explore and embrace the light, we will also enjoy a similar sense of hope and courage!

Blessings!

Today's Photos: Discovering the Light Series

Day 317



Day 318



Day 319







No comments:

Post a Comment