Wednesday, September 23, 2015

365 Project - Day 321

"Surprise yourself every day with your own courage." Denholm Elliott

This single cabbage head has been the gift that keeps on giving. I chose to attempt a high key image of these leaves as the final piece of work with this particular cabbage head. I have only shot a few high key pieces of work and I need to do more. It is important to me, in working with high key, that I am intentional about getting it right in camera such that I do not rely on post processing to adapt the image to high key. This was shot with natural light and minimal post efforts. Funnily, the thing I was most happy about was that the image was clean and I did not have to remove any spots!!

Being comfortable is a good thing. Doing the same thing in repetition builds skill and strength. If we want to grow to broaden our skills and increase our success, however, we have to be willing to step out of our comfort zone and have the courage to risk new or different things. Jim Rohn put it this way, "If you are not willing to risk the unusual, you will have to settle for the ordinary."

In my case, shooting natural settings and dark backgrounds or low key lighting is simpler than high key. Frankly, low key is also more my style. High key is a scientific exercise that takes a lot more planning. Neglecting to attempt it, though, means I am missing opportunities for creative growth, aha moments and surprise blessings. I am quite fond of Denholm Elliott's quote above - it would be exciting to push myself to be more courageous each day, in big and small ways. I'm in!

Today's Photo: High Key Cabbage Leaves


"Stay alert, stand firm in faith, show courage, be strong." 1Corinthians 16:13






EXIF: Nikon D750
ISO 400
85mm
f5.6
1/3s

No comments:

Post a Comment