Sunday, August 23, 2015

365 Project - Day 290

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time." Thomas Edison

As we left Maine to head home, I had one final task I needed to complete. Shoot a photograph of a lighthouse. It seemed a simple task at face value, but proved difficult. I suppose I have a storybook view of lighthouses. Maine has 60ish lighthouses and I can tell you that several look nothing like the lighthouses I saw in storybooks I read as a young child. Nothing at all like them.

Deeply disappointed by each of our lighthouse excursions, I delayed our trip home. I looked for recommendations online and scoured our maps. Still, I failed to find an interesting lighthouse and finally, very nearly gave up. As the sun was setting, we raced to the oldest lighthouse in Maine, hopeful that this would be what we had envisioned, but we also knew this was our last option. We needed to shift highways in Portland and all of the parks would close at sunset. Indeed, as we arrived at the top of the park at the Portland Head Light, the park ranger was driving around shouting through his megaphone that the park was now closed. Fortunately, the park was crowded and few people were in a hurry to leave.

I was thrilled. Finally, we had reached a lighthouse that looked like a lighthouse. Taking the photos was a bit stressful giving the shouting park ranger and lack of time to find the perfect location from which to shoot, but I was happy nevertheless. We had, after all, been searching for this lighthouse (or one similar) most of the day. We made the most of the reward for our persistence: twilight at the lighthouse. Evidence that persistence pays off!

Best wishes!


Today's Photo: Twilight at Maine's #1 Lighthouse



“Unless God has raised you up for this very thing, you will be worn out by the opposition of men and devils. But if God be for you, who can be against you? Are all of them together stronger than God? O be not weary of well doing!” John Wesley



EXIF: Nikon D7100
ISO 400
42mm
f22
7/10s

No comments:

Post a Comment