Saturday, August 22, 2015

365 Project - Days 287, 288, 289

"Distance and difference are the secret tonic to creativity. When we get home, home is still the same. But something in our mind has been changed, and that changes everything." Jonah Lehrer

Big confession ... For the first time 286 days, I missed taking a photo for my 365 day project. We were traveling to Maine on Day 287 and I had been up most of the night before our trip, so I slept and at no time did it occur to me that I needed to take a photo. Not once. We left later than planned. It was raining and the journey took longer than we thought. By the time we arrived in Bangor, we were tired and hungry. A photograph was not top of mind. So - there is no Day 287 photo. Oh well!

I didn't realize I had missed a day until I uploaded the photos upon our return, but the good news is the vacation in Maine was beautiful and I took lots of photos to make up for missing Day 287. I have wanted to get the family out to Acadia for years and it was everything I dreamed it would be. Fully recovered from packing and traveling, we hiked the wrong direction the first day - up the mountain, when everyone was coming down the mountain! The trail was rocky and dense; a bit of a brutal climb, but every once in awhile it opened up to gorgeous Atlantic Ocean scenes. Refreshment for the hike weary travelers!

On Day 289, I convinced the family to awaken early to get to the top of Cadillac Mountain to watch the sunrise with hundreds of other crazy people. To arrive in time to park in the lot, we had to leave our hotel before 3:30AM! They were surprisingly agreeable and we enjoyed a fantastic sunrise. Then breakfast in Bar Harbor and an early morning walk around Jordan Lake that took far longer than any of us anticipated, but I'm smiling as I write this.

I was anxious to get out and experience something entirely new and different. It was nice that we did not have to travel too far to make that happen. We worked hard each day and were rewarded with extraordinary beauty. I loved being together with my family through the challenge of hiking and while there were noisy complaints, they were covered with extreme laughter and wonder.

As always, when we stretch ourselves, we are enlightened and changed for good.

Blessings.

Today's Photos: Wandering Wonders

(As a note, it was difficult to select a best photo for Days 288 and 289 ... Since I missed Day 287, I am adding my "favorite" photo as the first photo)





"Go outside ... amidst the simple beauty of nature ... and know that as long as places like this exist, there will be comfort for every sorrow, whatever the circumstances may be." Anne Frank

"And let the loveliness of our Lord, our God, rest on us, confirming the work that we do. Oh, yes. Affirm the work that we do." Psalm 90:17

No comments:

Post a Comment