Friday, August 28, 2015

365 Project - Day 296

"Not a moment of life is wasted on a farm. Others may have been more places, but none have outlived me." Jim Fisher, Texas Rancher

We went to a local fair last weekend and as we watched the various festivities, almost all of them farm-centered, my son asked how the farmers could spend their time in what he considered intensely laid-back activities. Since my husband and I lived 18 years in Texas, we are more familiar with farm living and tried to enlighten my son. He would have none of it. He would point to the 2 photos below and say, "see, not much excitement happening." I tried to explain that the farmers would think he wasted his time on the frivolity of less important things, while they spent their time on meaningful family entertainment. We need farmers, I explained. And, while their priorities and yours are different, there's much you could learn from being on a farm.

He has been exposed to a lot of different cultures. We've lived and traveled internationally and I have reminded my children regularly that fun and excitement, worry and anxiety in one culture may not be very different from the next. One thing we haven't discussed, is the seemingly radical difference between rural and city living. On the surface, though, things always seem different. The important piece is to dig beneath.

I love these photos because because they illustrate fun and relaxation on the farm. And, if you look closely, you can see that what is essential is always invisible to the eye.

Blessings.

Today's Photos: Summer Country Fair




"And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.” Antoine de Sainte-ExupĂ©ry

No comments:

Post a Comment