Sunday, August 30, 2015

365 Project - Day 297

"Daniel then said to the guard whom the chief official had appointed over Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah, 'Please test your servants for ten days: Give us nothing but vegetables to eat and water to drink. Then compare our appearance with that of the young men who eat the royal food, and treat your servants in accordance with what you see.' So he agreed to this and tested them for ten days.

At the end of the ten days they looked healthier and better nourished than any of the young men who ate the royal food. So the guard took away their choice food and the wine they were to drink and gave them vegetables instead.

To these four young men God gave knowledge and understanding of all kinds of literature and learning. And Daniel could understand visions and dreams of all kinds." Daniel 1:11-17

If you have heard of the Daniel Fast, this is the basis for the fast. I have been on it once for 21 days and need to build more discipline into my eating and exercise routine now. While this was not the initial motivation for today's photo, the discipline illustrated was.

Before I broke my leg, I was considerably, though not perfectly, healthier. Now that my son is safely off to school, I have decided I need to work my way back to a healthier me. Perhaps the discipline of a Daniel Fast and a bit of exercise will do the trick.

It's hard to imagine that 10 days of vegetables and water could change a person's appearance in such a visible way. What I enjoy about these verses is that not only did their appearance change, but their minds were opened up as well - all in TEN days! A lot of people do the Daniel Fast for much longer (tied to the time the king set for bringing young men into service). However, when I decide to go back on it, I'm going on for 10 days and will press for appearance, knowledge, understanding, visions and dreams. Consider the sixth fork, extra grace!

Blessings.

Today's Photo: Disciplined Grace



"It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver." Mahatma Gandhi

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." Hippocrates


No comments:

Post a Comment