Tuesday, July 7, 2015

365 Project - Day 249

“Friendship is born at that moment when one man says to another: "What! You too? I thought that no one but myself . . ." C.S. Lewis

As I watched my 14 year old son cavort along the beach with his friends on the 4th of July, I was reminded of myself as a teenager. That was such a carefree and careless existence; mostly free of anxiety and full of discovery. And one of the sweetest moments of youth is finding friends who share your anxieties and your strange dreams.

I took several photos of the kids on the beach, yet I prefer this one of them huddled together. I imagine they are in the midst of some absurd discussion, but it is their moment to have these. As they get older, the discussions will shift, the tone will become far more serious, there will be fewer smiles and more furrowed brows. I wish it did not have to be so. As there are certainly times when I wish I could exchange the former for the latter.

The good news is these carefree, joy-filled days bursting with friendships and exploding with laughter lay the foundation for a strong and happy adult life. And if we're fortunate, these friends of our careless youth will remain friends as we become mindful, responsible adults.

I am adding a photo of the beach a short walk from the kids. These piers looked like crosses a gathering of crosses along the shoreline. Too many symbols to explore, but the one I will use now is a representation of Christ's friendship, longstanding and true in every stage of our life.

Blessings.

Today's Photo: Tight Friends


Friendship Beach



"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." Ralph Waldo Emerson







EXIF: Panasonic DMC-FP7
ISO 160
6.3mm
f3.5
1/250s

No comments:

Post a Comment