Thursday, July 16, 2015

365 Project - Day 258

“Sometimes the right thing feels all wrong until it is over and done with.” Alice Hoffman

When I read this today, I knew this was for me. I have completed and turned in the cast boards for the two shows this week. In doing so, I made 4 trips to printers, 2 trips to Michaels, slept only a few hours this week and every once in awhile wondered if I was crazy. As I was putting on the finishing touches today, I decided the boards looked a little too clean. As I did for my last show, I added a few musical stickers. Luckily, it was just a few. When I opened the trifolds to erase any visible pencil marks before turning the boards over to my husband for delivery, I screeched. The tops of the stickers on 2 of the boards had peeled off onto the photos, ruining the photographs. Once I finished spinning, I peeled the photos and the stickers. Replaced the stickers with stock paper stars and headed off to the printer to get replacement photographs.

Meanwhile, I have been getting advice from the SmugMug Heroes on the photos for next week's performance. That package of 50 came in with dark backgrounds despite being shot in much the same manner as the ones I completed today. The photos are beautiful, just not what I expected. At their advice, I adjusted my post-processing and resubmitted. The SmugMug gang is fantastic and I have no worries about the next batch. The production of each board takes a full day. When the new prints arrive, I will have exactly 4 days to complete 4 boards for the next show! I'm hoping to get some sleep between now and then.

The funny thing is that while I was struggling through all of this, I thought to myself, "You can look at this one of two ways, the choice is yours: 1) this is simply not meant to be." But then just as quickly, I thought of all the joy this work brings and the reminder that the absolute delight I feel when I finish a headshot project like this, regardless of where I started and what I go through, transcends the mess. Or I could say, "2) when I get through this, I will be the smartest person around." God does not waste these crazy moments. It is all part of the learning process. If I wasn't constantly seeking new information; trying it out; learning what works and what doesn't, my failures would come at far more inopportune moments and my growth would come far slower. These challenges, or mistakes, are freebies now. All of these efforts are gratis. I'll be a seasoned genius (and fully burned-in, not burned-out) in no time.

It bears repeating, regardless of where I start, I finish at the same point. I am pleased with my headshots. I adore these kids. It is that extreme desire to deliver a headshot they love that makes me nuts, but also keeps me one step ahead of agonizing defeat. So, bring on the pain - the gain is so worth it.

Blessings!

Today's Photo: One step ahead



"Have you ever come on anything quite like this extravagant generosity of God, this deep, deep wisdom? It's way over our heads. We'll never figure it out. Is there anyone around who can explain God? Anyone smart enough to tell him what to do? Anyone who has done him such a huge favor that God has to ask his advice? Everything comes from him; Everything happens through him; Everything ends up in him. Always glory! Always praise! Yes. Yes. Yes." Romans 11:33-36






EXIF: Nikon D7100
ISO 200
50mm
f2
1/400s

No comments:

Post a Comment