Thursday, October 15, 2015

365 Project - Day 338

"If there is anything in us, it is not our own; it is a gift of God. But if it is a gift of God, then it is entirely a debt one owes to love, that is, to the law of Christ. And if it is a debt owed to love, then I must serve others with it, not myself.

Thus my learning is not my own; it belongs to the unlearned and is the debt I owe to them ... My wisdom belongs to the foolish, my power to the oppressed. Thus my wealth belongs to the poor, my righteousness to the sinners.

It is with all these qualities that we must stand before God and intervene on behalf of those who do not have them, as though clothed with someone else's garment ... But even before men we must, with the same love, render them service against their detractors and those who are violent toward them; for this is what Christ did for us." Martin Luther

I had an interesting conversation the other day about retirement and the person said they feared that if they retired, they would become reclusive. I find that in retirement, I am less so. I have had the time to become rejuvenated and with that rejuvenation I am more determined to serve and participate in activities that change the world.

Each of must decide if we are up to the task as Martin Luther describes above. Living in the fullness of our gifts can be exciting and fun, but our gifts were designed to be of service to others. Artistic gifts, gifts of leadership, and others - all intended with one purpose, service. I suspect that is why as much as I love photography, the photograph itself is never enough.

Perhaps this is where sacrifice and service merge with our self. As I was driving home from a nonprofit board meeting the other day, stuck in traffic for hours on a rainy evening, I was reminded of the sacrifice that accompanies service. Yet, it was a good reason to be stuck.

Blessings!

Today's Photo: Traffic Bokeh



"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth." Muhammed Ali


No comments:

Post a Comment