Saturday, October 17, 2015

365 Project - Days 339, 340

"I am always doing what I cannot see yet, in order to learn how to do it." Vincent van Gogh

"Poetry surrounds us everywhere, but putting it on paper, alas, is not so easy as looking at it." Vincent van Gogh

When you look at a flower or a bouquet or a single candle or a candelabra, what do you see? Are you certain that what you see and how you interpret what you are seeing is the same as everyone who sees? This is an interesting question. Artists interpret scenes in various shades or dimensions of colors and light. The way they see what lies before them, therefore, can vary greatly from one artist to another, hence the reason paintings of a single place or setting often differ markedly.

Add a lighter shaper in the mix, as I have below, and the complexity of how that scene is read changes dramatically. As I shared previously, I've been having fun playing with my crystals and prisms. It's amazing how a simple flower or a single candle changes with these light shapers. I was stunned myself and am getting better at anticipating the patterns and adjusting quickly as I learn more.

This exercise is a reminder that just as the artist creates poetry with their interpretation of an environment, we also have a choice in what we create with our interpretation of the scenes that play out around us. Beauty or destruction lies in our hands and we are the light shapers.

Blessings.

Today's Photos: Shaped by Light




“A painter should begin every canvas with a wash of black, because all things in nature are dark except where exposed by the light.” Leonardo da Vinci

No comments:

Post a Comment