Thursday, October 29, 2015

365 Project - Days 352, 353

"When you photograph a face, you photograph the soul behind it." Jean Luc Godard

In one agreeable moment, my son said "yes" to having a new headshot taken. This was unusual, but he was game. The trouble is I forgot, for that same brief moment, what it is like to photograph him. He is simultaneously delightful and exasperating. I told him he was / is my least favorite client. Nevertheless, he and I both had a job to do. His was to look his very best, mine was to deliver the very best image of him.

I thought it would be useful to share the beginning, middle and end of this expedition for the two of us. We had just 30 minutes to produce the photo on Day 352. When I reviewed our work following the session, I decided I was not happy with the pose on the best photo (#2) you see below. So I took us through the tortured process again on Day 353. Both of us were more clear of what we wanted to accomplish and we created a photograph that captures both his humor and mischievousness.

To be clear, he was no easier to work with the second time around. He insisted on testing my flashes every time I looked away. He moved from his spot. Changed positions. Goofed off and was nonsensical much of the session. In the end, it seems we needed all of that to deliver the final photo, I suppose.

Whether in sales, consulting or photography, I have focused on understanding the underlying nuances of the person with whom I am interacting. The surface is meaningless. In fact, I am terrible at interpreting "face value." All value lies beneath the skin. These photos are a perfect example: Despite the fact that the first and third photographs below were taken just 24 hours apart, IMHO, they do not look much like the same person. Had I thought I was interacting with the young lad in the first photograph, I would have handled the session very differently than if I was working with the young man in the third. People are fascinating and while their faces are interesting, it is what lies behind the face that tells the story. Take a deeper look.

Blessings.

Today's Photos: The Soul of a Teen

#1

#2

#3


“It is not easy in this world for one person to understand the next one.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

“I don't like that man. I must get to know him better.” Abraham Lincoln

No comments:

Post a Comment