Saturday, October 31, 2015

365 Project - Days 356, 357

"All is how it should be. Just be. Just breathe." April Peerless

Happy Halloween!

Yesterday I celebrated the 1 year anniversary of breaking my ankle by going out for a short run. I used the opportunity to reclaim my body. Later in the day and this morning, I was filled with agonizing aches and pains in seemingly every muscle, groaning with each step as I climbed and descended stairs. The feeling has been fantastic. Every ache, every pain is like a long, lost friend. I have enjoyed feeling like I'm on my way to taking better care of myself. Those pains are familiar. It has just been far too long.

I was surprised at the strength of my legs and concerned at the weakness in my breath during the run. I felt all my anxieties knotted up in my chest, tightening my breath, making it nearly impossible for me to catch the next one. In that moment, I faced the dichotomy of my existence: one part ready to fly, the other anxious and restrictive. As I was about to try to stretch out a second go, my husband texted to remind me that we had a conference call and our appointment was on the line. I paused; took a deep breath; turned around and with confidence wrought with urgency, ran home. In that moment, my breathing relaxed. There was no time for anxiousness. That deep breath immediately provided fullness and strength that carried me home.

Sometimes when life's messiness makes us crazy, we need to pause and breathe before we get back in the race.

Today's Photos: Just Breathe

\



“Your breathing is your greatest friend. Return to it in all your troubles and you will find comfort and guidance.” ~Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment