Sunday, October 18, 2015

365 Project - Days 341, 342

“I would teach children music, physics, and philosophy; but most importantly music, for the patterns in music and all the arts are the keys to learning” Plato

When my children were born, I insisted on music being piped through the operating room during their deliveries. I never imagined that the doctors or hospitals might say "no." I suppose I was fortunate that they obliged, particularly given one was born in a very public hospital in the south and the other in a more exclusive one in the north. I was convinced that the music would both ease their arrival and soothe my state, but more importantly, create children who were more intelligent, more playful and also more calm upon their entry into this crazy world.

To be certain, we ended up with children who love music. I'm not sure I can prove their birthing environment is the source, however. I wholeheartedly agree with Plato's assertion that the arts are the keys to learning. Certainly music facilitates all learning and enhances all play. Music can be playful, spiritual, soulful, intellectual, philosophical, psychological, whimsical, physical, emotional, joyful, disagreeable, poetic, imaginative, timeless and transcendent. As many have said, music speaks when words fail us, "Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent." (Victor Hugo)

Yet, one of my favorite ways of looking at life and music is Wolfgang Mozart's perspective,
“The music is not in the notes,
but in the silence between.”

It all matters. Too often, amid the noise, we forget what matters most. Blessings.

Today's Photos: Boys and their play!





“If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph:
THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED
FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
WAS MUSIC” Kurt Vonnegut

No comments:

Post a Comment