Saturday, October 24, 2015

365 Project - Day 345

"Are you called to preach? Then preach as though God himself were speaking through you. Are you called to help others? Do it with all the strength and energy that God supplies so that God will be glorified through Jesus Christ - to him be glory and power forever. Amen."
1 Peter 4:11

My son is extremely musically talented. He can instinctively play any instrument he picks up with little practice. His musical instruments of choice in the past have been the upright bass, the piano and the guitar. So when, as a new High School Freshman, he bounded into my room joyfully announcing that he was joining the marching band, I frowned. "But my dear," I said quizzically, none of the instruments you play - march." That did not deter my son. I wasn't trying to to extinguish his fire or passion, but I wanted him to understand the realities of his situation. Nevertheless, he sat down one afternoon with one of his closest friends and learned to play the saxophone in a day. Amazing. He also discovered the other reality of marching band. It requires a significant time commitment and while he may have had the talent - he certainly did not have the time.

I have recently come to understand that I had a very old fashioned view of marching band. I had the opportunity to watch a local marching band event and competition and was surprised by the bands. I have heard a lot about the talent of our own hometown band through the years. What stunned me wasn't just the band talent, though there was plenty of that. I was pleasantly surprised by the volume of activity displayed by each band; the diversity of the bands - in all ways; and yes, by the fact that every single band included instruments that do not march. These non-marchers were instrumental to the success of the bands and several bands included lead vocalists. Each band executed with energy, enthusiasm and fervor far beyond what I anticipated.

I did not understand every thing happening on the field, but I was happy and I was inspired. The diversity of creativity in music, song, instruments, people and activity was impressive. These extended band members have learned the importance of putting all of their energies into every performance. If we can exhibit similar focus, fervor and passion in our everyday, we position ourselves to create an inspirational force field around us, making our little corner of the world a fantastic place.

Blessings.

Today's Photos: Modern Day Marchers




“I began to realize how important it was to be an enthusiast in life. He taught me that if you are interested in something, no matter what it is, go at it at full speed ahead. Embrace it with both arms, hug it, love it and above all become passionate about it. Lukewarm is no good. Hot is no good either. White hot and passionate is the only thing to be.” Roald Dahl

No comments:

Post a Comment