Tuesday, June 2, 2015

365 Project - Day 214

"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.' " Matthew 25: 37-40

Because sometimes He whispers and sometimes He shouts, I am compelled to begin with this: Please do not read the above literally. It is not intended to be so. We hunger and thirst for more than food and drink. Invitations and clothing go beyond personal and physical warmth. Sickness and imprisonment are not only physical confinements. The world is not changing because, while we might provide something to eat or wear, these do not address deeper needs. We're working the easy ones - The ones we can see.

This is the verse for today's Apple Bible App. When I read the iPad App notification this afternoon, I immediately knew this would be today's focus. We've likely all read or heard this verse. In fact, I just heard it at a recent local Godspell performance. What I understood today is that delivering joy requires much more.

I am very proud of my son, Brooks, who served as a student leader for the inaugural session for Newtown High School's Unified Theater. Unified Theater pairs students with and without disabilities to build an inclusive performance. The photos below are from the group's production. The teams write the scripts and serve as cast and crew. I had a little trouble taking photos. My seat wasn't great, but the bigger issue was the surprise performance of my son as the sassy Princess Shanniqua. No idea. Stunned, but he owned it.

I asked Brooks about his experience. He said he wants to expand access to musical theater and is grateful that he had the opportunity to bring theater and music to a group of students that would not have had the opportunity. He also said he learned about teaming with students with disabilities. That working side-by-side works best. And, of course, as you can see by these photographs, they had a lot of fun. He seems on the path to understanding what the Lord intends.

Giving joy, gives back more than what you paid!

Blessings.

Today's Photos: Expanding joy thru theatre!





"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:34-35

No comments:

Post a Comment