Thursday, June 18, 2015

365 Project - Day 228

The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee has to be one of the funniest shows I have seen. I had no idea. Shortly before leaving for call time opening night, my son asked for help pulling together the costume he needed to portray Jesus. I had no forewarning so it took a moment to sink in. My son also played Mitch Mahoney, ex-convict grief counselor performing community service by comforting the losers of the spelling bee.

This was a student produced and directed show done by one of my son's best friends as his Senior Capstone project. It was a delightful evening with a terrific cast. The show was beautifully directed event.

The scene below is one of my favorites. This is when Marcy, an extreme overachiever who is tired of always winning, calls on Jesus for the okay to not do her best. Jesus meets her on her terms, speaking to her in one of the 6 languages she speaks and telling her that winning the spelling bee is not the kind of thing he really cares about.

This is important stuff. Are our areas of focus aligned with His? When we get all knotted up, frustrated and Type A are we sure our energies and anxieties are in the right places? For me, the answer is not always or the more complete response is, not often enough. If He doesn't really care about it, then why should we? Now, there's something to think about.

Best wishes.

Oh - the line I consider the most brilliant: "if you took the W in answer, the H in what, the extra A in aardvark, and the T in listen, you could keep saying, "WHAT?" and no one would hear you because the whole word would be silent." Olive Ostrovsky

I am still thinking about that one.

Today's Photo: Focus on the right things









EXIF: Nikon D7100
ISO 800
70mm
f2.8
1/90s

No comments:

Post a Comment