Thursday, June 11, 2015

365 Project - Day 223

At the time, this made perfect sense to me. Lovely deep red flowers, an interesting bottle to serve as a vase and a mix of fruit to add interest and additional color. The photo session had all the usual limitations: the space was tight as I wedged the bottle between the edge of the table and the painting on the rear wall. Nonetheless, I was happy with the photographs as they appeared on the back of my camera.

When I processed them, however, I noticed that my set up was out of balance. Since the lemons were larger than the delicate flowers and were positioned in front, they overtook the scene, making the flowers a less important component. I had the same issue with every photograph. To resolve the imbalance, I adjusted the crop, cutting off part of the lemons to resize and reduce their impact. In doing so, I improved focus on the flowers, but it still didn't feel strong enough. In the final version of today's photo, I sacrificed the lemons altogether, despite the amount of time I had already invested.

Isn't this a lot like how we try to deal with the very things that shift our lives out of balance? We often don't recognize the impact or even the source initially, we just know that at some point the wrong things started taking up too much of our time. And then we declare we must get control. So we cut a bit and are marginally pleased with that improvement. Yet, we've generally left our lives in tact, when the best action would have been a drastic elimination of the very thing throwing us out of balance. Had we done that, we would have been truly happy and at peace.

It was difficult to make the decision to crop out the lemons, but the 2nd photo is just better. This drastic measure was the right option. Sometimes you simply have to lose something to gain something better.

Best wishes!

Today's Photo: Proper Balance - Still Life Flower with or without Fruit




"The right thing to do and the hard thing to do are generally the same" Steve Maraboli

"No discipline is enjoyable while it is happening - it's painful! But afterward there will be a peaceful harvest of right living for those who are trained this way." Hebrews 12:11




EXIF: Nikon D7100
ISO 200
35mm
f13
7/10s

No comments:

Post a Comment