Tuesday, June 16, 2015

365 Project - Day 227

I have experienced a lot of firsts the past year and recently had the opportunity to sit through a dance recital rehearsal for the first time since I was 16. This was more fun as a parent than I recall as a child, although I'm not sure my mother would agree. I wanted to capture the spirit of this rehearsal. Parents watching in the dark in the auditorium, having received their child's costume. The leader and instructors on stage with last minute coaching. The kids almost, but not quite there.

This is two days prior to the recital for Lisa Mennilli's Dance Academy and the kids are working on the closing act. Perhaps my favorite part of the photo are the preschoolers. There is nothing more adorable than small children absorbed in their own worlds. It looks like they want to pay attention and participate, but they simply cannot. There's so much to see and experience.

I wish we could extend that sense of wonder far longer into our lives. As my 14 year was begging to steer the car recently, I asked him not to be in such a hurry to grow up. "Please," I pleaded, "enjoy this time of being young and full of curiosity and awe before you jump into being responsible and that is stolen from you." My mother reminded us this evening of how he and his best friend in preschool used to giggle and play on the soccer field without paying a moment's attention to the game. That's what I want him to hold on to for as long as he can. As adults, we can recapture wonder if we allow ourselves to live fully in the moment, without harsh distraction and without judgment. I encourage you to be in awe at least once every day, it refreshes the soul.

Best wishes.

Today's Photo: Time to Dance!


"At the time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, 'Who, then, is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?' He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. And he said: 'Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven, And whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.' " Matthew 18:1-5










EXIF: Nikon D7100
ISO 1000
40mm
f3.5
1/125s

No comments:

Post a Comment