Monday, June 29, 2015

365 Project - Day 241

"Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms." 1Peter 4:10

"When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. 'Do you understand what I have done for you?' he asked them. 'You call me "Teacher" and "Lord," and rightly so, for that is what I am. Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you should also wash one another's feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.' " John 13:12-15

As we celebrated my son's high school graduation with a day long party, my husband and I spent the day serving our guests. We chose to actually serve dinner as well. In doing so, we had the opportunity to see everyone at dinner time. Though we had just a moment with them as we served their meal, we were pleased we had that brief moment. It was a nice to connect with each of our guests and offer a small bit of service.

Earlier in the day, my 83 year old father was recovering from a leg injury he suffered the prior day. My mother massaged his legs and feet to improve their condition. It seemed an unpleasant task from my perspective, but she gracefully and selflessly offered her services. Her efforts paid off and she gave us all the gift of a happy, pain-free gentleman that evening. The flowers below were given to my parents for their anniversary by the NYC hotel in which they stayed for their anniversary. Such a lovely gift and terrific way to honor 60 years of service to one another.

I believe we are often happy to give as long as we are in control of the size and conditions of our service offer. The two verses at the top of this post, however, suggest a more free and limitless approach to giving. The first is a reminder that all we have is designed to be a blessing to others. And the second is ensure we understand that we must give deeply and personally. There can be no such thing as impersonal giving, if done as intended.

The awesome insight about giving, though, is that there is as much, if not more, receiving when we give as there is giving. In fact, whatever we offer to others, we redeem ourselves. So that we are clear, all that goodness inside of you was never intended for you to keep just to yourself. God and nature require you to share. Therefore, go ahead and give more - Then notice your abundant return.

Blessings!

Today's Photo: Shared Life - Shared Giving



"Give away your life; you'll find life given back, but not merely given back - given back with bonus and blessing. Giving, not getting, is the way. Generosity begets generosity." Luke 6:38






EXIF: Nikon D7100
ISO 640
50mm
f2.8
1/90s

No comments:

Post a Comment