Sunday, June 14, 2015

365 Project - Day 225

"Sing to Him a new song; Play skillfully with a shout of joy." Psalm 33:3

My husband has a last day of school ritual and he's out of town. He texted me asking for confirmation that it was the last day of school. Without thinking of the implications, I answered. And then came the series of instructions. Let's be clear: I do not have a last day of school ritual with our children, however, since my husband is away tending to family matters, I thought I should attempt to oblige.

The instructions were something like, find the water gun in the garage; fill it; hide in the woods; jump out and spray Brooks when he gets off the bus; video with your phone!

Say what?

As a businesswoman traveling all over the world for weeks at a time, being home on the last day of school was not a priority. I needed to be home the first day of school, for major school events and theatre productions. Not for the last day of school. That set of instructions reminded me why.

I found the pump action water gun. I spent time trying understand how to pump it and film at the same time. What you see below is the gun and where I hid while waiting for my son to get off the bus. I chose to film the event on my DSLR. I turned my camera on as soon as I heard the bus approaching, pumped the water gun and crouched low. I then shuffled out to attack Brooks when he headed up the driveway. It must have been a silly sight. There is little of it recorded, since my primary focus was the attack and I had so much fun squirting him.

The older son was a bigger challenge. Since he had rehearsal after school, I didn't see him until later in the day. We went out shopping for a costume, so I hid the water gun in the garage before we left. When we returned, he parked his car outside and I hustled into the garage, picked up the water gun and waited for him to step inside. I got him. This is not recorded, but it was done. And that is good enough!

Success!!

I enjoyed seeing the smiles on my children's faces, a reminder of the joy and healing of play! I am thankful to have had that moment with them.

Best wishes.

Today's Photo: Last day of school



"The body heals with play, the mind heals with laughter and the spirit heals with joy." Proverb






EXIF: Nikon D7100
ISO 250
35mm
f5.6
1/30s

No comments:

Post a Comment