Wednesday, June 10, 2015

365 Project - Day 222

I have an affinity for straight lines. I'm just not a big fan of circles. In fact, when purchased our home, I did not like the huge round chandelier in the foyer and immediately replaced it with an equally large rectangular one. I follow the same straight line approach when photographing. If I choose a different perspective, I've noticed that I pause to make a conscious adjustment and then take a deep breath. This is simple. I'm a highly creative square.

During Scott Kelby's Shoot Like a Pro session, I was intrigued by his focus to get the best photo, unencumbered by the angle required. I thought I should push myself out of my comfort zone and worked my way up to this photograph. I began with my typical landscape approach, standing up, looking down. Then sat / laid down on the ground for the rest of the photos. The first angular attempt actually made me dizzy. I shook it off, caught my breath and stuck with it.

I'm glad I did. I am pleased with the results. The next time, though, I might try to improve my basket contents with actual picnic treats and a few ants! I also believe a board under the blanket would keep it from looking messy.

Focusing on illustrating the story through incorporating content in a different way allowed me to successfully stretch my limits. I realize that when I am not shooting headshots and still life, I'm not challenging myself enough. What's important is whether I am forced to think through the photograph and develop or expand skills. If the exercise takes little thinking, I am not improving. 10,000 hours of walking for a runner will not make them a world class runner. Achieving expertise requires full-on exercise of the essential muscles for the sport. Increasingly pushing and stretching those muscles is the only sure way to mastery.

Best wishes.

Today's Photo: Fixin' to Picnic



"If an ax is dull and one doesn’t sharpen it first, then one must exert more force. It’s profitable to be skillful and wise." Ecclesiastes 10:10






EXIF: Nikon D7100
ISO 200
45mm
f16
1/30s

No comments:

Post a Comment