Saturday, February 7, 2015

365 Project - Day 100

"If God had granted all the silly prayers I've ever prayed where would I be now? Someday we will be more grateful for the prayers that didn't get answered than the ones that did." C.S. Lewis

What a remarkable 100 day journey this has been. When I initially thought about the 365 Project, I did not imagine the challenge in front of me. I thought that simply taking a photo every day and posting it somewhere should be simple enough. As I began that first day, however, it felt strange just to posting a picture. I was compelled to say something about the photograph and the words, though difficult to come, needed to be more than "here is my photo; I took this because; this is the EXIF." I had more I wanted to say. I didn't know why. I am convinced that God was stirring me, unbeknownst to me at the time, into a greater service. Frankly, had I understood at the time, I might not have started. He knew, however, that I was committed to the project the first day I created this blog, but I think he also knew I wasn’t keen on the written blog. I got a little help the next day. A broken leg changes your perspective in a really big way, if you let it.

Society does a lot of self-checking after the first 100 days. Let's look back at what I have accomplished in the first 100 days of my 365 Project. While I have been on crutches for 100 days, my life and this journey have been about so much. "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." James 1:2-4 I have often been anxious that I would exit this time with a fully healed leg, yet as the same person that fell down the stairs that day. To me, that would mean I had wasted 100 days.

In 100 days, I have taken 8,615 photographs! A normal day for me has been 20, with my high of 1200ish (70 cast members) and my low of 4 (at the gas station). I love that those were my bookends. Both were huge tasks to tackle. Only 20 days were actually shot away from my house. I've had very few days that were total failures, but have had a couple days when only 1 or 2 photos were worth processing. And, one of my favorite photos remains the one I took immediately following my fall, before I realized I had broken my leg. I was in pain and limping, but I was on a mission. Shortly after taking that photograph, I realized it was time to "be still." It is important to me to acknowledge that I managed my way through the first day or two after the fall with help from a small event on Light Stalking. I shared a photo I had taken earlier in the month as my first posting into their Shark Tank, a critiquing forum. I received lots of excellent constructive criticism coupled with lively banter. I was distracted during that time and I am grateful.

I have been incredibly fortunate during these 100 days. I rested and attempted meditation! I have had time to learn, to laugh, to love and to live, with little distraction, except my camera (and Lightroom). I have experimented, discovered and grown. I have come to understand the possibilities and limitations of my lenses. I believe that less is more and even less is better. And, some days, I just draw a creative blank. I am my biggest critic (which is nothing new) and one of the best feelings is to take a second look at my daily photos and think, "maybe that wasn't so bad after all." I have developed new skills in headshots, studio lighting, silhouettes, flower photography and still life, though not an expert, I'm making huge strides. My speed light is now my friend, whereas before it was a stranger. Christmas bokeh and event photos are much easier for me. I successfully created guidelines and taught ISO.

I am fearless!

I want to come back to the headshots. When I was shooting the cast photos, I realized I wasn't interested in only taking a good photograph. I personally had a dual purpose: 1) in the few minutes I had with each child, I wanted them to feel important, beautiful and talented in a way that was unique and special, and 2) I wanted to create a photograph that made them also feel so when they saw it. I had less than 5 minutes with each person. I was in a non-weight bearing cast and I was shooting 5 to 18 yr olds straight through without a break. It was impossible to deliver on this - but I wanted to come as close as I could. I wanted a sweeping victory. I felt God commanded it from me. We don't always get to choose our circumstances, but we always get to choose our attitude. "For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Ephesians 2:10

So, I will wrap 100 / 365 with this: I have selected photos to post both because I think they are among the best of the day and because they suit my message. When I embarked on this project, I didn't expect to become a quote hoarder, nor did I anticipate the Lord to taking over, but He is in control and again, I am grateful. Amen.

I often joke that I am the only person reading my blog. Now, I feel I am being pushed to ensure there is broader circulation. I am praying I'm ready. This could be why I spent 100 days with a broken leg!

"The Lord will perfect that which concerns me; your mercy, O Lord, endures forever." Psalm 138:8

Blessings to you and yours!


Today's Photo: Perfected Perseverance



"And, when you want something, the whole universe conspires in helping you to achieve it." Paulo Coelho




EXIF: Nikon D7100
ISO 100
50mm
f8
1/180 (Paul C Buff Einstein Strobe)






No comments:

Post a Comment