Thursday, February 5, 2015

365 Project - Day 98

While I did less today than I had planned, I may have done more than I should have. I am making excellent progress in healing my broken leg, but I spent too much time standing on it today and it hurts.

We had a photography club meeting this evening, designed to allow people who have new cameras to join us and learn more about the fundamentals. We had a larger turn out than expected. Yay! I co-staffed the ISO table and had a ball. It was fun being in a leadership role and helping people again. I had forgotten how good that feels. Plus it was nice to test my skills.

My approach to today's photograph, therefore, is about skill. Given I am nearing the end of my first 100 days in this project, I felt I should select a photo that demonstrated knowledge of a skill I did not have when I started. And, while this photo was taken 2 days ago, I am selecting not my favorite or the best photo of the day, but one that that illustrates a new technique (and is a decent photograph as well).

My husband was kind enough to shovel the walkways, including a few paths for me. I walked out into the backyard on 2 solid for the first time in over 2 months. It was liberating, albeit cold. I was confined to a few snow shoveled paths, but that was enough for me. I have taken photographs of the sun before, but have not managed to capture a starburst. I had to properly position myself and ensure the sun was positioned slightly behind the trees to capture this. Success meant setting my mind on the possibilities, not the probabilities.

When I was working, I often pushed my teams to think about the art of the possible. In doing so, we could abandon small minded thinking and move on to create much stronger solutions for our clients and partners. We would also collaborate with colleagues to innovate new ways to solving complex issues. It often meant that we accomplished more than folks believed we could and sometimes we surprised ourselves. One of my favorite poems on the art of the possible is Emily Dickinson's, "I Dwell in Possibility". I should note that I have a less insular, more literal interpretation of the poem! I think it's a brilliant take on the extension of a person's world when they dwell on possibilities - it creates many new windows and doors; opens up a world in which the best of everything is possible; the sky is the limit with blessings from heaven; you do what you have been destined to do. Ah hah!

Best wishes!

Today's photo: Bursting forth with new possibilities



"I Dwell in Possibility" by Emily Dickinson

I dwell in Possibility -
A fairer House than Prose -
More numerous of Windows -
Superior for Doors -

Of Chambers as the Cedars -
Impregnable of Eye
And for an everlasting Roof -
The Gambrels of the Sky

Of Visitors - the fairest -
For Occupation - This -
The spreading wide my narrow Hands -
To gather Paradise -





EXIF: Nikon D7100
ISO 100
50mm
f11
1/180





No comments:

Post a Comment