Thursday, February 26, 2015

365 Project - Day 119

I recently saw a black and white museum photograph of a cabbage leaf and was immediately committed to this project. I chose to begin, however, by photographing red cabbage, one of the most photographed vegetables. I was excited as I cut through the middle of the cabbage with its vibrant color and intricate design. I was not, though, thrilled with that awful cabbage smell, but once I peeled back the first layer and exposed it to the open air for a few minutes the odor went away. I took several photographs and when processing the photos I noticed something special about this one.

The complexity of the natural design of the center slice of cabbage immediately reminded me of the complexity of our lives. What a thrill, then, to find the arrow formed by the leaf and its reflection in the mirror. If you look closely, you'll also notice that the blemish on the right is barely visible in its reflection. Finally, pull back a bit from the cabbage and the complexity appears to simplify into nestled curves rather than haphazardness. Our lives are similarly complex, with curves, twists and turns and bruises, but also with beauty, vibrancy and simplicity. Could it be that all of this is necessary to position us for the success we are intended to live? Imagine that our lives are designed with ordained complexity -- meaning while life seems aggressively messy to us, God is in control. Yes, it may be easier to live blemish-free, straight lines, but if so, perhaps we would not be prepared for our successes.

I've been studying Ecclesiastes and I find it a wonderfully perplexing book of the Bible. I have read several chapters over and over in many different versions and I find myself not much wiser than in my initial read. In Ecclesiastes, Solomon, the son of David, is struggling with the meaning or meaninglessness of life. Yet, he acknowledges God's constant presence. Each day's events may not make sense and life can be particularly confusing day to day, but when we look back over a series of events during a season of our life, we can see the pattern(s) more clearly.

So, given there are some things we cannot change in God's design, perhaps we need to live and learn in both prosperity and adversity, trusting that all things work together for good and His purpose moves forward regardless.

Best wishes!

Today's Photo: Move forward on purpose



"Consider what God has done: Who can straighten what he has made crooked? When times are good, be happy; when times are bad, consider this: God has made the one as well as the other. Therefore, no one can discover anything about their future." Ecclesiastes 7:13-14







EXIF: Nikon D7100
ISO 320
85mm
f5.6
2s

No comments:

Post a Comment