Saturday, November 29, 2014

365 Project - Day 32

I recently read an article discussing the science of gratitude, indicating scientific proof that the expression of gratitude improves our well-being, mentally, physically and spiritually (http://newsok.com/the-science-of-gratitude-lose-weight-save-money-and-conquer-stress/article/5371457). I came across several similar articles tying science and gratitude this week. This time of year, when the US celebrates Thanksgiving and as we enter the December / January holiday season is the perfect time for this insight, but did we really need the world of science to tell us what our hearts already knew? Henry Ward Beecher said it well, “The unthankful heart discovers no mercies; but the thankful heart will find, in every hour, some heavenly blessings.”

When my children have asked for large gifts, Wii's, Xboxes, cameras. I have asked them to keep a gratitude journal before granting them their wish. I believe it is important that they are clear about the blessings (large and small) that already exist in their lives before they move on. Frankly, though, I don't do this often enough but I hope we are making progress. It would be fantastic for my teenage boys to get into a daily routine of writing in a gratitude journal. Then, again, they are teenage boys!

As I spent time with my almost 83 year old parents and their friends of more than 60 years this week, I was deeply moved by their collective gratitude, love and enduring friendship. Mostly, though, I was reminded of the grace and love of my parents. I am fortunate to have parents that exude love and I am thankful that God saw to it that I was assigned to them.

Today's photos: "Gratitude in Love"





“None is more impoverished than the one who has no gratitude. Gratitude is a currency that we can mint for ourselves, and spend without fear of bankruptcy.” Fred De Witt Van Amburgh

“We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures.” Thornton Wilder

No comments:

Post a Comment