Monday, November 17, 2014

365 Project - Day 20

I recently read an article on the Light Stalking website highlighting the "5 Photos Every Photographer Must Know How to Create." I agreed with the article and knew that one of the areas that I hadn't tried to conquer in full was freeze motion photography. Capturing action in sports is a breeze for me. It is what I dreamt of shooting when I was younger. I imagined myself on the sidelines of a professional basketball or football game, capturing the controversial and game winning plays, up close and personal. I suppose it's possible that part of the dream was tied to a throwback to my cheerleading days. Still the thrill of being on the sideline of a fast paced game in the midst of the action, yet slightly a part, sends my adrenaline soaring. Several months ago, I intentionally lost my way on the streets of Prague and happened upon a Monster Energy Drink sponsored mountain bike rally and trick competition. With my camera in hand, I was back on the sidelines capturing the action. Freezing a cyclist, upside down, at the top of the trick jump ramp - not a problem.

The challenge for me is that I envy others who have captured beads of sweat dancing midair as they bounce off a boxer during a prizefight or, better still, cause your mouth to water with the tantalizing wetness of the splash of a cold drink and suspended water droplets. So, I set out to attempt the latter. I could not do this alone and enlisted the aid of my husband. I knew I was on borrowed time as I watched his expression during my explanation of the project and his role. Then as my son returned home from school, smirking at my madness, my husband's patience and my enthusiasm waned. This photo is my nascent attempt at freeze motion water photography completed in under 30 minutes with minimal editing. As I need assistance, no one was willing to wait upon me as I nursed my photos.

Nevertheless, I am thrilled I experienced this. I believe it went well. I eagerly await my next opportunity to master this photo. My cup is full!

Today's Photo: "Refreshing Freeze!"


"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." Ephesians 3:20-21

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”
― Eleanor Roosevelt

No comments:

Post a Comment