Friday, November 7, 2014

365 Project - Day 10

While I still remember most of the chords of "Swans on the Lake", I wasn't that fond of my piano lessons when I was young. It's hard to pinpoint any specific reason other than, I just wasn't good at it. I enjoy classical music and like listening to and watching piano virtuosos, but I was not to be one of them. As we decided to provide piano lessons for my children 8 years ago, they together with my husband insisted on an electric piano with all of the bells and whistles. I was certain this would be a passing phase (like mine) and we were wasting our money. They argued that an electric piano would be more fun, which would lead to more hours of practice. I believe reality falls somewhere in between.

They still take lessons and play the piano. They practice far less than I would like and yesterday, when neither was willing nor available to take their lesson, my husband asked if I would fill in for them so that we would not lose money on the lesson. Hah! My sons are talented pianists when focused. My eldest has been recognized for both his technique and his passion, receiving outstanding scores in competition. And, recently, he wrote his college essay poetically describing how the piano serves as therapy. Actually, perhaps, reality does not fall in the middle. If tickling the ivories soothes him, then I say, the investment was brilliant.

All my best wishes! ps - surgery is over and I am going to rest now ...

Today's photo: "The Piano"
"Life is like a piano. What you get out of it depends on how you play it." Tom Lehrer



“Sometimes I can only groan, and suffer, and pour out my despair, at the piano.” Frederic Chopin

No comments:

Post a Comment