Monday, December 1, 2014

365 Project - Day 34

Claude Monet said, "I must have flowers always and always." I'm with him. I love flowers and, by the way, I'm not a fan of red roses or carnations, both represent the two ends of the spectrum of too common (cheap and expensive, but everywhere), for me. I would be delighted,I suppose, to receive a room full of either or both ;-) I do enjoy flowers. I delight in every aspect of their beauty: color, variety and fragrance. What's my favorite, you might ask? The Calla Lily. It is a gorgeous flower whose meaning is associated with holiness, faith, youth and rebirth. Interestingly, however, it belongs to neither the lily nor the calla families, making it a bit of a misfit. The inherent disconnect of the confusion surrounding the name and the purity of its meaning makes the Calla Lily even that much more endearing.

I do like all flowers, though. It is possible IMHO, that Maslow missed flowers as a basic need in his hierarchy. I think Hans Christian Andersen agrees, "Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower."

Since today is Cyber Monday and everyone is shopping for the holidays, I offer this "Christmas Floral Treat"



Best wishes!

"The earth laughs in flowers." Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment