Wednesday, December 3, 2014

365 Project - Day 36

I have decided I need to be more focused on specific photography projects at least once or twice a week. I recently saw an article on Digital Photography School entitled, "How to Create a Unique Bokeh Portrait for Under $10" by Nick Fancher. I quickly skimmed the article, picking up the basic premise of shooting with Christmas lights in front of the subject. The photos were intriguing and I knew I wanted to give this a try. Yesterday when my husband brought out all of the Christmas decorations so he could hang the lights outside, I decided to work on this project. What I failed to do, was re-read the article for the execution details until this afternoon (oops). Now I need a do-over to properly complete the project, in the meantime, here's my version - haha.

Since my family won't model, I chose one of our little Christmas men we set out around the house as my subject. I wasn't creative enough to think of hanging the lights across my tripod at a 90 degree angle, which is really the proper way to do this. Instead, I struggled with wrapping the lights around a large Christmas ball decoration. To add creative flair, I placed my man in front of French doors capturing bokeh from the reflection of the lights. I actually preferred a photo in which the only bokeh was in the reflection, but that's not this project.

In addition to the challenge of not being able to shoot through the lights to create the dancing bokeh effect, the lights created a bright flare. I did not check to see if they were low wattage lights as suggested in the article and the lighting in the room was quite bright, so I did not want to use flash. The project, however, requires one or two flash units gelled red. So you can see, I had quite a few missing ingredients. It was fun to practice anyway.

Best wishes!

Today's Photo: "Christmas Bokeh - Hope"


(EXIF: Lens 50mm f1.8, 1/125, ISO 400)* (from memory, will update if necessary)


"And in despair I bowed my head;
'There is no peace on earth,' I said;
'For hate is strong,
And mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!'

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
'God is not dead, nor doth he sleep!
The Wrong shall fail,
the Right prevail,
With peace on earth, good-will to men!' "
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

No comments:

Post a Comment