Tuesday, December 2, 2014

365 Project - Day 35

I have never attempted food photography, but I love to cook. I enjoy making beautiful meals, but I typically make a beautiful mess at the same time.

Since breaking my leg at the end of October, I haven't been in the kitchen much. The two times I did took an extraordinary amount of time and energy and in the end, I nearly destroyed the kitchen. I needed lots of help and I absolutely could not clean up my mess. Ahhh, the blessing and curse of a broken leg!

When I retired earlier this year, I developed a daily dinner schedule: Mondays = European, Tuesdays = Fish, Wednesdays = Soup, Thursdays = Vegetables, etc. I cooked nearly every day until "the break". Last night, I decided to try again. I thought a simple one pot dinner would work well. While that was in the oven, I prepared my son's Mason Jar Salad for his school lunches. The family enjoyed the Italian Roast with Potatoes and Carrots. However, I was exhausted by the time I finished chopping, rubbing, stirring, pouring and roasting. I needed a glass of wine and lots of rest! Perhaps, that's evident by this small sample of the mess I left behind.

You may be thinking, "what 17 year old boy wants a salad for lunch?" I often prepared this as a 10 layer salad on Thursdays and my boys enjoyed it. I should be quick to say that I tried many other vegetarianish foods that did not go over as well, but they are hungry kids that have to eat something!! It's good to be in control. If you're interested, the recipe is at the bottom of the blog!

Today's Photo: "The Messy Art of Food Prep" So, after looking at this again, it's really not appetizing, but it is real, and it's all I've got today!



"My doctor told me I had to stop throwing intimate dinners for four unless there are three other people." Orson Welles


One Final Thought
It is Giving Tuesday and as I complete this post on food, my heart is tugged, reminded of the millions of people here in the US and around the world that go hungry every day. I hope to have an impact on that. We provide food for a family through church each Thanksgiving, but know that is far from enough. So, I am praying for guidance as to the right way to make a difference. I hope you are using your gifts to make your corner of the world brighter! Two suggestions @FeedingAmerica and @charitywater.

"There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work." 1Corinthians 12:4-6





10 Layer Salad with Italian Lemon Pecorino Dressing (dressing is adapted from foodnetwork.com)
Romaine Heart Lettuce
Cilantro, chopped
Thinly sliced Green Onions / Scallions (white and pale green parts only)
Organic Frozen Peas (cooked)
Diced Red Onion
Diced Jalapeno
Cherry Tomatoes, quartered (optional) updated*
Chopped Boiled Eggs
Grated Cheddar Cheese
Croutons (we use garlic and butter)

Optional - Bacon (pan fried and crumbled) (oops - not a veggie)
* My son just said, "I really do not like tomatoes!"

If serving in a large bowl, layer ingredients in 3 layers. If serving in a Mason Jar, place the dressing on the bottom, then layer as follows: tomatoes, onions, jalapeƱos, peas, lettuce/cilantro, eggs, bacon (if using) cheese, croutons. Shake when ready to eat.


Dressing
Fresh squeezed lemon juice from 2 medium lemons (1/3 c)
1/4 c olive oil
1/2 c grated pecorino romano cheese (I also use parmesan)
1 1/2 t of Italian seasoning
1 t of Oregano
1 clove of garlic, smashed
25 grinds of black pepper
Few pinches of salt

Combine in tightly sealed container and shake vigorously.

No comments:

Post a Comment