Friday, December 5, 2014

365 Project - Day 38

I started reading The Practice of Contemplative Photography, by Andy Karr and Michael Wood yesterday morning. The book was recommended by one of the active participants on Light Stalking. I am just a few chapters in, but was anxious to get started. Color is the first assignment and we were directed to be clear about the intention to shoot bold colors, focusing on a flash of color that stops us.

My husband and I had a lunchtime appointment with our financial advisors so I brought my camera along. The only color I noticed in route were the blue garbage cans at each home, christmas decorations, traffic signs, street signs, business logos and yellow fire hydrants. And, the office park was black, gray and brown. Absolutely nothing excited or "stopped" me - perhaps, I wasn't seeing things the way I should have, but it was all a bit depressing. Everything seemed so ordinary, bland and wintry. Then on the way home after I had given up all hope, out of the corner of my eye I noticed a small group of wild plants with red heads growing along the side of the road.

We turned around and pulled over so that I could take a few photos. I could not get out and walk over to the plants on my crutches. The photographs are not as tight as the assignment requests (or as I would like), but I am clear that what stopped me was the striking red against the faded colors of winter. I am also looking forward to my next "day of color"!

Today's Photo: "Color Guard"



"Color is the place where our brain and the universe meet." Paul Klee

No comments:

Post a Comment