Tuesday, December 16, 2014

365 Project - Day 48

It is difficult to explain the experience of photographing 70 children in a single afternoon. I can begin by stating that being organized was essential, as was being flexible. I arrived 45 minutes earlier than I had said I would. Yet, as soon as I arrived, little children wanted their photos taken since I was to start at the end of their meeting. I was early to set-up and because I knew I needed more than the planned 30 minutes to photograph 15 small children.

With a prepared cast/shot list in hand, I relied on my own children to take turns ensuring their friends and fellow cast members were lined up and ready to enter the makeshift studio in rapid succession. We needed to move quickly, plus I wanted the kids to have a moment to get comfortable and I wanted to be thorough, ensuring everyone had a good cast photo.

Overall, things went fairly smoothly. My kids were mostly helpful. Every so often they forgot their responsibilities and fell behind or left me to fend for myself. Not surprising, but aggravating. By the last session, I was running behind, but managing to stay sane.

I did not take a break, working straight through from 12:45 until 5:15. We took time to change the lighting when we shifted from the small children in Cinderella to the older kids. We changed from a single speed light to the speed light + the Einstein E640. I also took 30 seconds to stretch. Other than that, nonstop! Only living and breathing the session.

The only technical issues were adjusting the Einstein since I had not prepared correctly in the final prep and because the room was small and dim. (Did you notice the problem in yesterday's blog?) The other issue was that my SB700 recycle time slowed down midway through the session. I have not sorted out that issue.

Though harried and crazy, I enjoyed it. Who knows, maybe this could be my thing. I am sharing one of my son's headshots from the session. By the way, they were the absolute worst subjects of the day. Go figure!

Best wishes!

Today's Photo: "All the world's my stage!"


A confession - I probably should include the "before" photo. I spent quite a bit of time trying to determine why the photos imported from View NX2 to Lightroom darkened dramatically. When I posted the question in the LR community the response was simply did I have Active D-Lighting on? Yep, I did. And, yes, I went over every camera setting multiple times. Just did not worry about this one since it hadn't previously been a problem. Now, though, I'm happy about the error. I'm enjoying the editing process and the discovery of the details in every photo. I have always embraced a challenge - can I get it right? I believe so.


"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." 2 Corinthians 12:9 NIV



EXIF: Nikon D7100
ISO 160
50mm
f/5.6
1/180 (headshot lighting kit)


No comments:

Post a Comment