Tuesday, April 28, 2015

365 Project - Day 179

"Every moment of light and darkness is a miracle." Walt Whitman

In the middle of the night, in the darkest moment, light can be both the most challenging and the most inspiring. Regardless, it is always the most crucial.

This photo op took place late at night after a busy day. I was tired, frustrated and admittedly initially lacked creativity. After trying a few photographs with and without my speed light - it appeared I was doomed. It seemed I would simply have to choose the "cream of the crap" for today's photo. Ready to call darkness the winner, I noticed my small shoot-through umbrella in the corner. I did not have the energy to set up a light stand. Instead, I set the timer on my camera, held the umbrella in my left hand and the light in my right (I'm sure I looked rather silly). Voila! After seeing the results of the first few photos, I was instantly refreshed, saved by the spread of light. A funny thing happened, though. I decided to try a few photos with this setup angling the light and umbrella up from below. Turns out I prefer the contrast of the dark and light, resulting from this arrangement over the broad brush of light. I should note however, that the black and white I've added here, is the broad light version. I'm sharing simply because I like this artistic black and white.

So, while I was despairing of both the darkness and the light, it took a fresh perspective to create the inspiration I needed. I am grateful that I did not give in. In this situation, as in all, I learned from both the darkness and the light. And, in the end, the best photograph was the illustration of the light overcoming the dark, not removing the darkness.

(Footnote - my one regret is not using a smaller aperture to capture all of the flowers in focus)

Blessings.

Today's Photos: Hope in Contrast




"Maybe you have to know the darkness before you can appreciate the light." Madeleine L'Engle








EXIF: Nikon D7100
ISO 800
50mm
f8
1/125

No comments:

Post a Comment