Friday, April 17, 2015

365 Project - Day 168

"Music is the language of the Spirit. It opens the secret of life bringing peace, abolishing strife." Khalil Gibran

I believe my son embodies this quote. He is a natural musician and I'm amazed at the musical breadth and depth in one soul. It is possible that being born to the music and lyrics of the Steve Miller Band could have played a part, but I suspect that it is more an inherent formation in his spirit. He used to play the upright bass. He played so well, he was considered somewhat of a master musician at 14, but he hated it. I thought it was the one of the coolest instruments ever. Well, next to the bassoon! Now he has decided he is a guitarist. He is mastering it on his own and doing well. He is simply able to play any instrument he touches and he would tell you, music brings him peace.

I believe life's rules about gifts and talents are simple. I have tried to be clear with my children: invest the time to develop their gifts or watch someone with lesser talent work harder and succeed further. It is truly in their hands.

There are several chapters in Og Mandino's University of Success that address this. One of my favorites is Lesson 6, excerpted from Keith DeGreen's Creating a Success Environment. In this lesson, we are introduced to Calvin Cautious, who's life is paused while he is asked several tough questions about that life. (This is a spoiler alert! Sorry for that.) In the end, Calvin comes to the realization that he has "an obligation, a responsibility, to use my abilities to the fullest ... I must control my life, for I wasn't designed to be led ... I prefer excellence to mediocrity, and I accept total responsibility for me..." To which The Engineer responds, "... make constructive use of the equipment with which you are blessed. Take with you all the love and energy and talent and hope that you have, and share it. Share it with all whom you meet, until it seems that you have no more to give. And when it seems that you have exhausted your supply of all the gifts you have been given, I promise there will always be more and more in reserve. For you are infinite, Calvin. Your potential extends beyond your wildest imaginings. And The Manufacturer wants you to know that the only limitations you will ever face will be those you place upon yourself."

This is not to dismiss the fact that troubles and burdens do come our way. It is to say that we manage how we invest and grow our talents and we control how the world experiences those God-given talents. While they are freely given, we own them - Gotcha!

Best wishes!

Today's Photo: Honor thy gifts!


" 'After a long time the master of those servants returned and settled accounts with them. The man who had received five bags of gold brought the other five. "Master," he said, "you entrusted me with five bags of gold. See, I have gained five more." His master replied, "Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!" ' " Matthew 25:19-21







EXIF: Nikon D7100
ISO 400
50mm
f1.7
1/90




No comments:

Post a Comment