Wednesday, April 29, 2015

365 Project - Day 180

We are moments away from my son's 18th birthday. It startles me to think somehow he has grown from the tiny joy pulled from my abdomen and incubated 18 years ago into this larger than life, brilliantly talented, kind young man. For the past year, I have regularly wondered: Did we teach him enough? Is he ready to be an adult? The world can be harsh and mean. And he has continued to be "incubated", if you will, in a largely loving, caring and gentle environment. Does he have the survival skills for this unpredictable world?

I also worry over the small things as I nag him about his clothing, about practicing and about watching videos. I argue that if he were a Kennedy, he would have to spend more time playing outside and reading and less time playing his electronics. Yep, I really do say that. To which his rebuttal is almost always, "Mom, if I were a Kennedy, I would have a shorter lifespan!" You might guess my response, "But the quality would be fantastic!" And so our discussion carries on.

He is anxious to fly. I am not ready to separate. If I could hug him tighter, I would. If I could shield him more, I would. If I could keep him forever, I would. But he yearns for freedom and his own source of light.

I am forever grateful for the past year at home. Now, I must trust that and the 17 years prior were enough and that God will handle the rest.

Here's how I will pray for him (inserting his name):

"God help our children to seek and find Your words and ways, trustworthy friends and loving companions to share their days.

Guard them against the poisonous arrows of malice and violence and drugs and hate and arrogance and sloth on their journeys to adulthood.

God please help our children on Your straight and level path." Marian Wright Edelman, from Guide My Feet

Blessings.

Today's Photo: Love and Inevitable Separation



"And how happy I was with the world he created; how I rejoiced with the human family! 'And so, my children, listen to me, for all who follow my ways are joyful. Listen to my instruction and be wise. Don't ignore it; Joyful are those who listen to me, watching for me daily at my gates, watching for me outside my home! For whoever finds me finds life and receives favor from the Lord. But those who miss me injure themselves. All who hate me love death.' " Proverbs 8:31-36






EXIF: Nikon D7100
ISO 125
50mm
f8
1/3

No comments:

Post a Comment