Sunday, April 26, 2015

365 Project - Day 177

I mentioned our birds the other day. We have robins nesting on our front door. I feel for them. By now, the trees should be filled with leaves creating plenty of comfy space for these birds to build homes, yet old man winter hangs on. I commend the robins for their creativity. Luckily, we have not taken down our Fall wreath and they built their nest on top of it. My husband noticed twigs and hay at the base of the front door the other day, looked up and saw the nest. The day before I had been outside looking for birds to photograph and could find none. In fact, I felt as though they were taunting me. I could hear, but could not see any birds. It was making me crazy. I was in and out of the front door several times anguishing over not being able to track down the birds that I knew were nearby. Oddly, they waited until I gave up and then they went to work constructing their family home on the very door I had been slamming just moments before. Surely there's a sermon in there somewhere.

I have been making my family nuts. I want the robins to nest in peace. I've placed a sign on the door. The front door off limits. I asked my husband to put caution tape across the front walkway and told my son that he could (had to) go outside to play but he was banned from the front yard. This is largely because I caught him walking up to the nest, cell phone out, taking a photograph. Yep, like mother, like son. Only this time, though it slay me, I am leaving the birds to do their thing.

We cannot see the nest from inside. So, that's a bit maddening. We're not 100% sure they are still there, but we are hoping our home is working out for their home. It has been cold and windy. That little wreath is not all that sturdy. I hope it holds together for them when the eggs are laid and the chicks arrive.

PS - This photograph was taken when I tried to sneak outside to catch the robins before locking down the front yard. I used my 70-20mm along with the 1.4x teleconverter, but the robins saw me, flew away and did not come back. I got cold and weary waiting. I would not survive as a bird photographer. Here's how it will work for me: as soon as it's nice and sunny, I will set up a comfy chair in the back; fill the bird feeder and sit quietly in the warmth of the sun, armed and ready to photograph while the birds chow down. No waiting!

Best wishes!

Today's Photo: Mi casa es su casa


"How lovely is your dwelling place, Lord Almighty!
My soul yearns, even faints,
for the courts of the Lord;
my heart and my flesh cry out
for the living God.
Even the sparrow has found a home,
and the swallow a nest for herself,
where she may have her young -
a place near your altar,
Lord Almighty, my King and my God.
Blessed are those who dwell in your house;
they are ever praising you."
Psalm 84:1-4






EXIF: Nikon D7100
ISO 640
280mm
f4
1/125

No comments:

Post a Comment