Sunday, April 19, 2015

365 Project - Day 170

While at the NYU Bookstore yesterday, I stumbled upon 2 books I had to have, by Austin Kleon: Steal Like an Artist and Show Your Work. From the moment I flipped through these books, I knew they were perfect for me. I just started to dive into the first one and am enjoying it. It is filled with quotes and one of my early favorites is "What is originality? It is undetected plagiarism." William Ralph Inge

I am continuing my quest to recreate still life with fruit paintings. Today I am sharing my updated versions of 2 favorite Paul Cezanne paintings. After studying my work, I've decided my stills are a bit over-crowded in comparison to Cezanne's. In the next round, I will drop a few items, but I am happy with the rest of the effort. I like the modernization of the white and black and the mix of fruit verses just pears. One of the differences I hope is clear in my interpretation is the transformation from impressionism to realism and a feeling by the viewer that they are being invited to help themselves to the fruit displayed before them.

Below you will find both Paul Cezanne's originals and my version. Enjoy and Best Wishes!

"Immature poets imitate;
mature poets steal; bad
poets deface what they take,
and good poets make it into
something better, or at least
something different. The
good poet welds his theft into
a whole of feeling which is
unique, utterly different from
that from which it was torn."
T.S. Elliott (as it appears in the preface to Steal Like an Artist)

Today's Photos: Still Life Redux #2 and Redux #3

Paul Cezanne - Still Life Pitcher and Fruit




Paul Cezanne - Still Life Plate and Fruit




"There is nothing new under the sun." Ecclesiastes 1:9







EXIF: Nikon D7100
ISO 200
50mm
f13
1/2s
Mirror-up




No comments:

Post a Comment