Wednesday, April 22, 2015

365 Project - Day 173

It's Earth Day! We enjoyed nice weather this morning and this afternoon, well, I'd rather not discuss. My 70-200mm lens has finally been returned from the shop after a very lengthy visit that included time spent with the Nikon team. I am testing it out to see if it now is truly fully recovered from "the incident". Today's "honor the earth" photos were taken with my newly refurbished lens!

What concerns me most on a day like today is the magnitude of the hunger crisis in America. I hold a belief that we are better equipped to help our friends overseas when we strengthen our neighbors at home. Knowing that 1 in 6 people in America struggles with hunger and that there are towns in the United States that only recently received running water (and perhaps some that still do not have clean water) makes me wonder why we spend so much time as a country focused outwardly. I understand that it is easier to believe that the US is a land of opportunity and anyone should be able to thrive and other countries simply do not have the opportunities available here. The majority, however, does not offset the minority. They still exist. And, we are called upon to help improve the world by starting in our own garden. Imagine preparing the earth to satisfy the hunger and thirst of our neighbors! Two charities to consider supporting: Feeding America and Charity Water.

Blessings!

Today's Photo: Simple Garden


“Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life lasts.” Rachel Carson

“One can no more approach people without love than one can approach bees without care. Such is the quality of bees...” Leo Tolstoy






As a note: This day, I was out waiting for birds to arrive in my garden. A bit of a futile exercise, but an exercise nevertheless. I had the 70-200 f2.8 lens on along with my 1.4x teleconverter. After a long wait, I gave up on the birds and turned to the budding trees.
EXIF: Nikon D7100
ISO 320
280mm
f4
1/500

No comments:

Post a Comment