Saturday, April 18, 2015

365 Project - Day 169

We spent the day in New York City, our last stop on the college accepted/admitted students tour. NYU's Weekend on the Square was a terrific event. I'm not sure if it was enough to sway the pendulum, but the university's event certainly surpassed the others and Aidan had a chance to spend time with 3 of his friends from high school catching up and asking questions. It is now in his hands.

My freshman year in college I stayed in an honors residence hall with a required studies program that included Humanities courses. I loved these courses. Professor James Shirky had a knack for turning the education of art and music history into a life changing experience. I still recall going to the National Gallery of Art while I was home during my first Spring Break. One of my new friends had come home with me and we ran around the gallery trying to guess which artist had painted which painting simply based on our first semester of art classes. We were surprisingly adept at the game. We also spent long moments sitting and staring at the now life-size art we had only previously seen in our text books while quoting facts we learned in class. It was such a ball. Many years later, as my family and I visited museums in Europe, I found myself again mentally rolling through the telltale signs of a Monet, Renoir, Cassatt, Degas, Picasso, etc. while my children tugged at my shirttails.

I recently decided to change-up my still life work and recreate still life with fruit, my way, while honoring the master painters. The photo below is my first example of this work. It is an ode to Professor Shirky and to artists like Monet, Manet, Picasso and Cezanne. It is truly an honor to have the opportunity to study and attempt to create a new version of their work.

Best wishes!

Today's Photo: Still Life with Fruit Redux #1


"Blessed are those who find wisdom, those who gain understanding, for she is more profitable than silver and yields better returns than gold. She is more precious than rubies; nothing you desire can compare with her. Long life is in her right hand; in her left hand are riches and honor. Her ways are pleasant ways, and all her paths are peace. She is a tree of life to those who take hold of her; those who hold her fast will be blessed." Proverbs 3:13-18








EXIF: Nikon D7100
ISO 160
50mm
f13
1/3
ps - this is also the first time I've used the mirror-up feature on my camera ... awesome

No comments:

Post a Comment