Monday, April 20, 2015

365 Project - Day 171

While I may have referenced this quote previously I believe it is time to hear it again: ""Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin

This reminds me of a conversation we had with my son this weekend before we left him to make his college decision. Sometimes the right choice, we said, is not the most comfortable or the easiest choice, but the most courageous. Don't be afraid, we continued, to select a school that will challenge you to be the very best you can be, where there will be both opportunities for you to succeed and to fail. As I write these words, I also think about this in terms of my life. In my experiences, there have been many opportunities to take the more challenging path, some I welcomed and some I shied away from. Regardless of the difficulties, I always learned more, grew more and exited the experience stronger when it was filled with hurdles I needed to overcome. I was, therefore, richly rewarded for my choice.

This is one of the reasons I continue to study and adapt my still life photography, not based on photography as the pure medium, but based on the art of painting. When I was in business, I used to drive folks crazy asking for examples of solutions similar to the environments we were in, but from completely different industries. I believed (and still do) that there was as much to learn by looking outside our industry for insights as there was by looking inside. Creatively solving problems is incomplete when only pursued through insular approaches, IMHO.

Creativity requires courage - how is your courage meter?

Here's one of my latest approaches to still life. You'll find a rare bottle of French dessert wine featured in this photograph. A nice reward.

Best wishes!

Today's Photo: Still Life Redux #4





"Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. Do everything in love." 1Corinthians 16:13-14 (NIV)

"Keep your eyes open, hold tight to your convictions, give it all you've got, be resolute, and love without stopping." 1Corinthians 16:13-14 (MSG)







EXIF: Nikon D7100
ISO 200
50mm
f13
1s


No comments:

Post a Comment