Wednesday, May 6, 2015

365 Project - Day 187

The other day I happened upon New York Times Columnist David Brooks' website, The Road to Character. He has recently published a new book with the same title and the website invites visitors along a character journey. A wonderful short Ted Talk is also included on the website. Mr. Brooks references Rabbi Joseph Soloveitchik’s Lonely Man of Faith and the presence of an Adam I and Adam II in each of us. Adam I is our external self, focused on high status, worldly ambitions and success; while Adam II is our internal self, focused on our morality, humility and love. They argue that these two Adams are in a perpetual battle and, naturally, society favors Adam I forcing us to neglect Adam II.

I agree that most, if not all us, will (sooner or later) find we are living with this clear disconnect between Adam I and Adam II, where we've been unsuccessful in fusing our deepest inner selves with the external creature the world has asked us to become. I experienced this in my own life. I had achieved great success, but I increasingly wanted success explicitly tied to my more giving internal self, designed to make a difference. I believe if your work is aligned with your purpose, the two can be fused to exist without conflict. I also now know that my Adam II was refusing to be denied any longer.

Much like using my son's new macro lens allows me to move in close to take a deeper look at an object, I had to explore deeper within to understand my battle and why. Why wasn't the success I was experiencing enough? I fought this battle for several years, repeatedly convincing myself that success was indeed enough. However, I was not making the "humility shift" David Brooks discusses as central to the journey he refers to as The Road to Character.

I recommend reading this article, David Brooks' The Moral Bucket List.

Best Wishes!

Today's Photo: The Journey



“Nothing that is worth doing can be achieved in our lifetime; therefore we must be saved by hope.

Nothing which is true or beautiful or good makes complete sense in any immediate context of history; therefore we must be saved by faith.

Nothing we do, however virtuous, can be accomplished alone; therefore we must be saved by love.

No virtuous act is quite as virtuous from the standpoint of our friend or foe as it is from our standpoint. Therefore we must be saved by the final form of love which is forgiveness.” Reinhold Niebuhr







EXIF: Nikon D7100
ISO 200
70mm (Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 Macro)
f4
1/350

No comments:

Post a Comment