Saturday, May 16, 2015

365 Project - Day 197

"Spring and summer bring their beauty
and a special kind of peace.
Take a walk in God's creation.
It will bring a sweet release.
For nothing is more settling
as you walk this earthly sod
than to marvel at His wonders
as you gently talk with God."
- Nancy M. Wilcox

I took a few minutes to walk around my gardens late this afternoon and discovered there is magic in my garden.

For a home in a neighborhood, this is one busy place. It is intensely noisy. Birds are flying high, jumping from branch to branch and strutting about the walkways. Squirrels and chipmunks are everywhere. And when I stopped by the fence to photograph a chickadee on the bird feeder, I heard a small squeak by my feet. I approached a densely wooded area in the front of the house and while the birds flew above me, something rustled the leaves underneath. I stopped and turned around because I was, well, frightened.

In my beloved Japanese Maple, a new family is building a nest right next to my front door where tragedy occurred just yesterday. These birds are taking the ultimate care, nestling their home high in the tree, set deep in the heart of a mass of branches and leaves. I have found comfort in watching them chat at the curve in our walkway and teased my husband about the Mrs. sitting high while the Mr. muscles the branches apart to complete the nest. My husband's response was, "ahh yes, she is barking orders!" Touché. If that is how order is restored, so be it.

While there is much activity, what I enjoy most is the color this activity brings. A green hummingbird, yellow goldfinches, red cardinals, browns and shimmering blacks of the cowbirds, reds and browns of the sparrows and the surprise appearances of a bluejay every now and then.

I suppose it's possible my garden has always been this active and colorful and this spring is the first time I have taken the time to notice. I have let the rush of the day's activities keep me from experiencing the wonder of God's creation. This is far more than stopping to smell the roses and reaches farther than watching birds. It is a reminder to make God my priority, to take time for myself and to listen deeply to the voices of my family. The blessing in return has been clearly promised.

Best wishes!

Today's Photos: The Blessings of a Backyard Gardener




"Yes, walk and talk with Jesus.
He will heal your troubled heart.
in His goodness and His mercy,
strength to you He will impart.
When your way is getting weary
and heavy steps you trod.
Take a walk in the springtime
while you gently talk with God."
From "Walk and Talk with Him" by Nancy M Wilcox



No comments:

Post a Comment