Monday, May 4, 2015

365 Project - Days 184, 185

I am combining two 365 Posts:

The Accidental Birdist.

That's the name I've chosen for myself. I believe it sounds much nicer than "bird woman", the name my husband has taken to calling me. I'm writing this blog while sitting outside. In this way, I am sure not to miss details of this new wonder. Some might say that all the time I spent locked inside may be the issue. Between breaking my leg the morning of October 30th and the never-ending winter, I have been virtually indoors, Vitamin D-less and without fresh air and sunshine for any sustainable period of time for 1/2 a year. That's crazy!

I've grown comfortable spending several hours a day outside watching the birds, spotting rabbits and chipmunks and chasing squirrels. I have learned that country life can be as noisy as city streets. The birds, animals and insects create a cacophony of sounds that can be both exhilarating and frightening. I have listened to daily chatter, happy singing, soft cooing and urgent cries. I have even watched squirrels bark. And, with that I am witness to a new awakening and appreciation within me.

I've learned birds generally have a sense of abundance far different from our unwavering human sense of scarcity. The birds do not fight over who gets to eat at the feeder, when. They are patient, eating off the ground or grabbing a bite and chewing while perched on a nearby branch. There are some which delight in a long dining session at the feeder, but all shove off when necessary. The only altercation I have seen are birds of the same family playing (or fighting), nothing between different bird types. And, despite the fact that I am uptight about squirrels eating all of the bird seed, the birds seem to be far less annoyed.

I have to pause for a moment about the squirrels - they are like the devil. Smart, cunning, patient, persistent, acrobatic and fully devoted to destroying the feeders. We have done everything to keep the squirrels away. They have overcome all obstacles including jumping a 4 foot vertical to reach the bird feeder when they could not climb down from the top. I will not, however, let them ruin this for me.

Here, I sense balance and harmony. The cardinals arrive in pairs, if Mr. Cardinal is near, the Mrs. is not far behind. The titmice and woodpeckers normally travel in noisy pairs. Mr. Robin is not a big flier. He plays it safe as he has a family on the way. Most of the time, I find him skirting the edges of the garden. I know Mrs. Robin is tending to eggs in the nest at our front door. The dove also isn't much of a flier, but he's a beast. The nuthatches come and stay awhile and the sparrows are playful. This afternoon, as the gnats and mini-bugs appear, the time is not quite as fun, but I am still enjoying the birds.

I have identified 10 small bird varieties feeding in our yard in just a few days time. Crows, ravens, turkey vultures and other larger birds are starting to also appear in my humble garden. Here's what I know so far: American Robin, Northern Cardinal, Downy Woodpecker, Tufted Titmouse, Black Capped Chickadee, Chipping Sparrow, American Goldfinch, White Breasted Nuthatch, Mourning Dove and an Eastern Bluebird (though he didn't stay to eat). If you're interested, I used National Geographic's Backyard Bird Identifier.

One day, this will end and I will be working too hard to find time to enjoy a day of birding. For now, I am thankful the titmice have come back to sing a pre-dinner song.

Best wishes!

Today's Photos: The Accidental Birdist

Female Northern Cardinal:


Male White-Breasted Nuthatch:


“Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment.”
― Rumi, Masnavi i Man'avi, the spiritual couplets of Maula

No comments:

Post a Comment