Sunday, May 10, 2015

365 Project - Day 191

Happy Mother's Day!

"Life began with waking up and loving my mother's face." George Elliot

I had organized and planned a new still life for today's photo. As I looked through my daily photographs, however, the photo below stood out as the best of the day. As this project is designed to select the very best, I had to forego my planned still life.

Quite a nice surprise that the female Downy Woodpecker rose to the top on Mother's Day. I do love this photograph. I rarely find the females in our garden. Though, the woodpeckers are beginning to travel as families more often lately. Many of my backyard birds arrive in pairs, but the woodpeckers seem to come in groups these days. They eat, chat and play. Watching the woodpecker family enjoy their time in the garden is delightful.

The woodpecker family dynamic reminds me of my own. I catch a couple frolicking about amongst the trees, flying together in a moment of frenzy, much like my children wrestling. I see fathers gathering at the feeder for a long meal. And, as in the photograph below, I see a mother intensely working alone.

"The family is one of nature's masterpieces." George Santayana

Today I honor my mother as full of grace, love, intelligence, strength, wit, courage and Christ. A fantastic guardian, provider and champion on this journey. I am eternally grateful for the gift of all that she is and has been. She is forever love.

Today's Photo: A Mother's Work


" 'Honor your father and mother' - which is the first commandment with a promise - 'so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.' " Ephesians 6:2-3






EXIF: Nikon D7100
ISO 400
280mm
f/4
1/180s

No comments:

Post a Comment