Sunday, May 24, 2015

365 Project - Day 205

I have a headshot session for summer shows coming up in a week. So I once again tortured my sons into sitting for a few minutes of practice with me. I have to remind myself that these sessions are just about technique and not about art. My sons are not agreeable and the discussion normally goes something like this, "since you have no plans this afternoon, I have something I need you to do for me." "Oh no, oh no. Mom - not again. I have something I need to do. I don't want my picture taken, please mom, no. I just won't do it." To which I respond, "oh yes you will. I promise not to take more than a few minutes of your time." They then squirm, roll their eyes, make faces, slouch and cross their eyes while I take their photos. And again I remind myself, this was an exercise in technique.

For this exercise I was trying out 3 new tools: 1) the black (and typically unused) side of my white matte Hurleypro Proboard; 2) Paul C Buff 47" Octabox (which I was unable to use previously); 3) 2x PocketWizards with my Paul C Buff Einstein strobe (which I had been incapable of sorting out how to use heretofore). All 3 worked beautifully. I plan to use this set-up for the headshot session next weekend. The black background looks sharp and is so much easier to edit.

In the frame just preceding this one, my son is slouching and looking down with a grim expression. I told him I would take one more and the photograph would be perfect if he would sit up, cross his arms and look at me. We finished up on this shot. As I look at this photograph, think about his leaving for college and beginning his life as an adult, I have to remember that we have given him roots and soon he will exercise his wings. It is my greatest desire that he soar high and far, knowing that he always has a place to come for nourishment.

Best wishes!

Today's Photo: Swag!



"Your children are not your children.
They are sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you, yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls.
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit,
not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you,
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent
forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and He bends you
with his might that His arrows might go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves the bow that is stable."
Kahlil Gibran







EXIF: Nikon D7100
ISO 160
50mm
f5.6
1/180s

No comments:

Post a Comment