Saturday, May 16, 2015

365 Project - Day 196 Part II

It pains me to report that the robins' nest is empty.

Two baby robins hatched a few days ago. My husband in his infinite wisdom set up a ladder with a remote video camera. I thought he was crazy to disturb their privacy, but he promised he was careful to set up the environment while the robins were away. We have enjoyed watching the adult robins warm the eggs and feed the newborns. It has been a beautiful sight. And I have grown to adore this family.

Yesterday morning I went out to take a quick look from a distance, rather than watch on the camera feed. I noticed the nest was empty, but just assumed the Mr. & Mrs. were off getting food. An incident had happened a short while earlier that I texted to my husband, but thought nothing more about it until this morning.

Something told me I should watch the camera feed. This morning's feed showed an empty nest. No baby chicks, no adults. I couldn't imagine what had happened, so I watched backward. We have 2 cameras covering 2 different areas, so the exercise was frustrating. I watched many feeds, the pool guys driving up twice - still can't figure out why they headed to the front of the house?? I watched several where the mother robin stared into the empty nest, restlessly sat in it, turning and turning, and adjusting only to become anxious and fly away. And others where the male robin would fly to the edge, poke around the empty nest and fly away. I could not understand.

I finally found a stream with both the baby chicks and mother in the nest at 7:00 yesterday morning. She fed them, flew away, returned and sat on them to keep them warm. Everything seemed quite normal. I fast forwarded to another stream and the nest was empty. I went through this exercise until I found the very last family video. I worried then that I might see the mother eat her young, because one of the eggs hatched late and that chick seemed a bit listless. However, when I went to the next video, I was horrified. I screamed, curled into a fetal position and cried. My husband came downstairs sure I had fallen down the stairs and broken my leg again. I cursed him for setting up the video stream.

As a reminder, the nest is built on my front door under an arch. It is in a tight and highly protected space. Mr. & Mrs. chose the best space at the time. I think. We've tried to protect them from all manner of manmade tragedies. Yet, we did know how to save them from nature.

As I type this, I am still crying. I feel for the mother who just wanted to ensure her babies had what they needed. She flew away from her safe home to get food and a moment later a large hawk swooped in and took her babies.

Yesterday, I was sitting on our back deck reading and watching the birds. I felt a stirring to look up and saw a low flying hawk. Here's what I texted to my husband: "Giant bird just flew away with mid-sized animal. Dog, cat, squirrel?? Animal kingdom!"

I was flippant. I didn't know he had my babies. Interestingly, there are a lot more adult robins in my garden this morning. All shapes and sizes are here for a visit. The beauty of their presence is a delight. We honor, find peace and move forward.

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27

Blessings!

Today's Photo: Peace
(this is a Day 196 photo - I could not bring myself to post an empty nest)



From On The Pulse of Morning by Maya Angelou

Lift up your eyes upon
The day breaking for you.
Give birth again
To the dream.

Women, children, men,
Take it into the palms of your hands.
Mold it into the shape of your most
Private need. Sculpt it into
The image of your most public self.
Lift up your hearts.
Each new hour holds new chances
For new beginnings.
Do not be wedded forever
To fear, yoked eternally
To brutishness.

The horizon leans forward,
Offering you space to place new steps of change.
Here, on the pulse of this fine day
You may have the courage
To look up and out upon me,
The rock, the river, the tree, your country.
No less to Midas than the mendicant.
No less to you now than the mastodon then.

Here on the pulse of this new day
You may have the grace to look up and out
And into your sister's eyes,
Into your brother's face, your country
And say simply
Very simply
With hope
Good morning.









EXIF: Nikon D7100
ISO 800
280mm
f4
1/125s




No comments:

Post a Comment